Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The many faces of Khan

Photobucket

Genghis Khan 2 the clan of the gray(blue) wolf has many different versions. I am almost at a loss as to how to acquire some of them. Namely the Korean versions. If I had any idea that Korea had a alternate version of GK2 when I visted there I would have made it a point to go around with my SNES cart and point lamely at it towords all the game dealers in Puson.

Within the Korea version you had the choice of picking an additional ruler with the Koryo kingdom! Thinking about it... if this version had everything else intact(harem/all of the other rulers) plus a bonus ruler it would be the more ideal rom to hack!

Genesis(US, JP, KOR)
PC(US, JP, KOR)
X6800 Gaming PC(JP)
SNES(US, JP, KOR)
Turbo CD(JP)
Sega CD(JP)
PSX Remake(JP)

Photobucket

So far I've played the PSX, SNES(US), Genesis(US & JP), and the PC version. I'm still toying with my X68000 emulator.

The most popular version among my peers is the SNES. Better graphics(not by much) and music then Genesis port. The PC game is larger and has animated faces, a choice of AI(intellectual & hostile), and a cool intro with more scenes and story on Temujin's early life and the Mongol's shamanist idealism. Its funny that the gray wolf is BLUE(like you know the wording in Japanese) and the white doe is... GREEN!

(I'll take a screen for my lurkers later)

No version or port of the game released in the US has the infamous harem subgame.

The Playstation Remake has a full score(mp3s!), movie ending, ROTK styled bios, voice acting for the harem subgame, an additional scenario Japan 1180 Genpei Wars on a new map, and brand new portraits!
Photobucket

I am thinking about pooring all my gameplay knowledge/experience of GK4 into a faq. I found a cheat for it!

No comments: